1) Size does matter, if you have a choice between an extra 100 square feet or Italian Slate throughout, take the space. Call your buddy Ted to fix the floor later. Always look for ways to gain cheap square footage.
2) If you are doing a kitchen backsplash and have a decorative, wall-mounted, hood fan, please raise the tile all the way to the ceiling. Do not stop it at vent level. It hurts me.
3) If you have cabinets, please raise them to the ceiling. I don’t care what else you have to do to make that work, just drop something else so that cabinets can go to the ceiling.
4) You have to have 9 foot ceilings. If your builder doesn’t offer this standard, find a new builder.
5) Get Vacuflo rough-in and then buy your canister at Costco. You’ll save a bundle.
6) Don’t make your bonus room so bedroom-y that it can’t be re-envisioned as a bonus room.
7) Make your basement windows as big as they’ll let you.
8) Make your basement ceilings as tall as they’ll let you. Try to convince them to build the venting as flush as possible to eliminate as many basement bulkheads as possible.
9) Don’t put carpet in a bathroom. It also hurts me.
10) Call your Realtor before you build. It’s free.
The Vanderveen Team
Maxwell South Star Realty
Phone: 403.253.5678 Fax: 403.592.6736